Sunday 9 June 2013

The Apparent Oddity

It would appear, ladies and gentlemen, that I am an oddity.  While I wait for various members of my family to stop their fit of giggles at that somewhat obvious statement I should explain to the rest of the world that I know I am odd in a number of different ways.

-By the age of 13 I had already decided to put an end to war, child poverty and the waiting list of children open for adoption (not necessarily in that order) all in time for my early retirement.

-I'd rather read that do almost anything else.

-I'll gleefully dive into the strangest experiments, in the kitchen, in wood working, gardening, homesteading and home repair, which for me are an endless source of entertainment.

-If you gave me a million dollars I'd probably end up giving most of it away (or sticking it in investments and giving away the interest)

-Oh and if you told me that I should wear more respectable clothes I'd probably collapse with laughter and then go on my merry way.

I know I'm odd, yet the other day some one's remark as to my normal routine threw me off guard.  I was at the bank to deposit my bi-weekly tutoring check and when the teller asked if I wanted to cash it or deposit it I told her to deposit it to my checking account.  She then made the comment that she noticed that I never cashed my checks, and that that was odd.  Thrown off by the fact that she both remembered me and my banking habits as well as the fact that this was an apparently an odd thing to do I answered along the lines of.  "Well I don't really spend cash."  To which she sagely nodded and said "You're right, it's easier to spend with a debit card."  Slightly confused as to why she thought I would spend the check that I had deposited I thanked her, wished her a good day and left.

Is it the norm to immediately cash and spend all money that comes into one's possession?  I hadn't though so, but maybe she's right, maybe I am the odd one of the bunch.  The truth is the reason I tutor for money is to help pay off my mortgage sooner, so the checks I get go directly into the savings account earmarked for mortgage payments.  (Currently saving up for the third of four $15,200 payments that I plan on making on the anniversary of my mortgage.)  Otherwise I'd be tutoring for free.

Have a question?  I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment