Saturday 27 April 2013

Raise a Little Hell of Your Own

It probably doesn't come as a shock that I am a big fan of Gail Vaz-Oxlade and subsequently have been watching her new show Money Moron.  Just as good as her other shows ('Til Debt do us Part and Princess) Money Moron illuminates the mistakes that so many in our society make on a daily basis.

One of the aspects that really struck me was how hard the people in the show looked for some place to put the blame, they certainly didn't want the blame to fall on their shoulders.  Sometimes it was their partner's fault for not being strict enough, or the world's fault for judging them too harshly, or the government whose tax laws were simply unreasonable.

It got me thinking of a recent blog post that I had read that encouraged finding a theme song for your finances.  And no, "Money, Money" by ABBA is not what they were thinking about.  Like most people I had never really thought about finding a theme song for my money but I was intrigued by the idea.  After all what could be a better way to motivate yourself when tempted by the latest gadget or when you feel like just spending a bit of your savings.  My new money theme song is "Raise a Little Hell"  by Trooper, and the couples on Money Morons could probably use the advice in the song as well.


“In the end it comes down to your thinking
And there’s really nobody to blame
When it feels like your ship is sinking
And you’re too tired to play the game

Nobody’s going to help you
You’ve just got to stand up alone
And dig in your heels
And see how it feels
To raise a little Hell of your own”



I find the idea of no one coming to help me liberating as opposed to frightening.  I have no one to blame for my failures except for myself and no one else can take credit for my success but myself.  It means I can stop waiting for everything to magically sort itself out and work on setting things straight myself.  This attitude is probably the most beneficial attitude with which to face your finances, absolute accountability and infinite will power.

No comments:

Post a Comment